Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:06 pm 

I recently uploaded 2 movies to the gallery, but neither would play - but both worked perfectly if then downloaded via the right-click method. The error message was -

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

Then Christopher made two attempts but couldn't upload his movie as either avi or swf.

I then tried a test upload for a very short animation. The avi file gave the same error as before, but this time the swf version did play via the gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 pm 

Christopher made this comment to me when he sent a message via my Youtube collection ... it really does make me wonder if there's a glitch or weakness in the gallery upload system. I've also experienced the type of thing he describes .....

And I've uploaded stuff that was just under 4 MBs in the past too. (That worked) But lately every thing I've tried uploading has failed to play. OR not uploaded at all. But like I've said. I plan to register soon. Maybe it'll work right for me if I register it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Admin

I just tested the gallery myself and it was working fine. A sidenote:
- the way the files are played depends solely on your Internet browser settings (it has nothing to do with the gallery, as it simply serves the files to the users).
So, for instance, typical IE or Firefox settings will allow them to directly play GIF and SWF files in streaming form, while AVI file will be downloaded first to a temporary folder and then played in your default AVI application (e.g., Windows Media Player). It is possible to have WMP plugins to IE or Firefox to allow \"streaming\"-like behavior for the AVI files (and many others, for that matter).

Hope it helps,
youri