Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:23 pm 

If you receive any spam messages via the Personal Message system, I advise you to copy the whole thing (including the name of the sender) and then send it via the email link for ADMIN. This can be found at the top of the memberlist.

Last edited by KayNine on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:10 pm 

I've now reported a second example of spam sent to me via PM. This one (like the first) purported to offer alternatives to a well known song download site. If you get one of these, do NOT click on the links - they are bogus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:04 pm 

Now a third PM example of Spam has arrived trying to persuade me to link to a fake iTune download site.

Such sites are infected with trojans or malware - so DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IF YOU RECEIVE MESSAGES LIKE THESE.

The fact that 3 such messages have been received, clearly shows that Spam IS now becoming a real problem in this forum. The personal messaging system is being abused.

Here's what to do if this happens to you:

(1) Highlight the entire message, including the name of the member.
(2) Ignore the fact that various bits of framing and formatting are included - just highlight everything.
(3) Click CTRL C
(4) Go to the Memberlist where you find Admin at the top.
(5) Click on the email link for Admin.
(6) Enter a subject line which refers to spam having been received.
(7) Use CTRL V to post the entire message into the text area of the email. Then send it.

If this isn't stopped, there's no telling what other types of message could be sent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm 

I got the problem as well... I hate those freakin', stupid spambots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 pm 

On the one hand I'm glad it's not just me, but on the other hand, it suggests that this website is starting to be targeted.

I belong to quite a few forums, several of which use this phpBB engine.
One in particular ('The Write Idea' ) was targeted a couple of years ago and was nearly closed down by spammers who either flooded the forum with bogus messages or used the PM system for the same thing. In the end, the administrator tightened security so that anyone and everyone who registered was individually verified. I'm not sure what this entailed, but since then there has not been a single instance of a spammer getting through.

The 'Celtic Guitar Talk' forum uses phpBB and some spamming does get through, but they have a system in place for easily reporting a message in the forum to administrators. I'm not sure if this also works for personal messages.

The 'Stykz' forum also uses phpBB and has exactly the same system for reporting any erroneous or unwanted messages in the forum. (This shows up as a triangular icon, so I'm guessing that it's an inbuilt feature of the phpBB engine).

The massively useful and well-used forum for 'Anime Studio' uses phpBB and they have something called the 'Spam bucket' which is described as ... \"Please don't post here - I'm going to see if we can catch some automated SPAM-bots ...\". This seems to work extremely well and spam hardly ever gets through.

Once a website is targeted, if attacks are unchecked, they can overwhelm it. That's what happened with 'The Write Idea'. I know of two other non-phpBB forums which were ruined by spammers and had to be shut down completely. (The original forum for the musician 'Billy Strange' and the one for the guitarist Bert Weedon).

On other occasions when spam has started to become a problem for me, I have simply deleted my membership and then put a block on any messages from that website. That has always worked.

Anyone who receives spam messages via PM's in this forum, should do as I've suggested and report them to the Admin team by copying and pasting the complete message.

I hope and assume that the admin folks quickly cancel membership for those who join only to behave like idiots in that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:20 am 

4th spam message received as PM.
Anyone else getting these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:02 pm 

Not for now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 pm 

WARNING

New spam is being being sent via PMs. It claims to be a message from the Artoonix team telling you that a virus has been detected on your computer and then tries to direct you to a website where viruses can be detected and cleaned on your system. The message even includes something that looks like a link to Artoonix itself.

If you receive a message trying to get you to link to **** antivirus.effect**** with an additional suffix which identifies you by name, DO NOT CLICK.

According to FireFox, the link is harmful.

Elsewhere I found this report (I've paraphrased it to shorten it) ..... I just recieved an email from ***antiviruseffect*** that looked like it had come from a website that my son was using. A security check showed that the website directs you to a totally different website that WILL infect your computer

REPORT ALL SUCH MESSAGES TO ADMIN BY COPYING THEM IN FULL AND PASTING INTO AN EMAIL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Seeing the flood of PM spamming attempts, the PM feature has been disabled (temporarily). Apoogies for any inconvenience.

artoonix forum admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 am 

That's good to hear Andrei - I hope there's a solution whereby the feature can be reinstated but with a way for members to opt out if they so choose, or leave it active if they prefer that.

Thanks for taking some action.