Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Excellent Bintins!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:03 pm 

Sadly, barely any of the good Artoonix animators animate now. Luckily, I found a new excellent Artoonix animator Bintins, and all of his animations are great! However, I also miss KayNine's animations...

Post subject: Re: Excellent Bintins!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:27 am 

natartoonixtweener wrote:
Sadly, barely any of the good Artoonix animators animate now.

I remember making that exact comment several times a few years ago.

It seems to be the way of things. Either people only stick with the free version and end up becoming frustrated because they can't access tweening and find that the drawing tools are just a bit too clunky compared to other fee animation programs, and so move on to them.

OR, they buy the full version and go only so far before running headlong into the limitations caused by my old favourite moans ---> just one centre of rotation and limited use for tweening without the risk of distortion if you alter the shapes being moved.

Artoonix should and could have been fantastic for cut-out style animation, but to do that you MUST be able to lock multiple objects together at their pivots points and that was never possible. I helped quite a lot of people move to Creatoon after Artoonix because that was exactly how it worked.

Over the years, I did find a couple of good solutions to the centre of rotation issue, but it was still a phaff that shouldn't have been necessary. If only Youri and Andrei had anticipated where Artoonix could have gone, I think the program would by now be ranked as one of the best at such an affordable price.

Even so, it's still a great program for anyone who wants to just experiment with basic animation but, as you say, very few who suceed with it stay with it and they soon move on to other programs and vanish.

I see that you have moved on to Adobe CS5 which should be a massively better program for you - but it's a hell of a price if you actually have to buy it.

By this stage, it looks as if development of Artoonix has ended. There are no hints on the homepage of any further or future upgrades and without totally restructuring its architecture, I don't see how there could be.

Such a shame - a real opportunity missed to put into the animation world a tool that could have done and offered so much. I now only use it when a friend asks for help (glad you like his work) or for making occasional slideshow-style uploads.

It was also a shame that the forum never ever seemed to be used by many people. For a long time I tried to write instructive walkthroughs but eventually I gave up because there was virtually never any sign that these were actually being accessed and used by anyone.

In the end, if ever a history of amateur animation is written, I suspect that Artoonix will feature either as a stepping stone (which would be good) or a dead end (which wouldn't). Meanwhile, I help where I can via the CalicoMonkey website.

All the best - good luck with CS5. I hope to see you progress a lot in 2012.